Thursday 6 January 2011

A Highland Happy New Year...

Hello & Happy New Year!

Hope you had an amazing festive season with your nearest & dearest, great food, amazing music and plenty of comforts, in a place that's special to you...?


There are a few places in life that feel really magical and inspiring.
I'm lucky to live by the sea which always helps musical ideas to flow and when I travel, it's a real bonus if I find myself in a location that brings a new dimension to that creativity. So, spending the winter in the heart of the Scottish Highlands was pretty special! We enjoyed all of December and the festive season at Laggandhu, nestled in the foothills of the Cairngorm mountain range. There was lots of playing guitar by the fire, staring out at the ever-changing mountain-scape or just having a dram and listening to uplifting music. Roddy Woomble's 'My Secret Is My Silence' was a particuarly brilliant soundtrack to the month, with lyrics like "If you never leave the highlands like you're drowning under rain and your sadness tastes like whiskey and my body breathes the same". Genius. Other highland highlights included one of our party - a local gamekeeper - firing two gun shots at the moon just after the bells at midnight to ward off evil spirits. When silence returned we could hear the sound of other country folks doing the same thing around the glens. Anyway, the result was an abundance of my own song-crafting and inspiration for my next album. The cottage is such an amazing place, I really want to share it with you - and the great news is I can! Laggandhu, near Nethy Bridge, is available to book via this website. See below for a sneak peek inside (and outside). If you ever get the chance, take a trip there and see for yourself! I'll be back soon with more updates....

...meanwhile, HAPPY NEW YEAR! James x :)

PS. The final photo of me in my kilt is courtesy of my management! Apparently it would be rude not to include it in this record of a traditional Highland Hogmany. It's still affiliated to my Irish roots though - it's County Kerry District Tartan. So, here's an Irish blessing to send you on your way into 2011....

May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
and all your heart might desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment